What can you do to ease the pain of separation?
Tips for Long Distance Caregivers:
• Let your loved one know you are always there for him or her.
• Call frequently. Hold normal conversations. Do not focus on the disease. Do talk about what is happening with friends and family.
• Play their favorite music over the phone.
• Share sources of calmness that may ease their path.
• Read aloud – poetry or stories they would enjoy.
• E-mail jokes, funny stories, pieces of relevant information, inspirational messages.
• Arrange an electronic chat room with additional friends communicating.
• Mail surprise packages–musical CDs, movies, books, crossword puzzles, easy to handle crafts.
• Send a bouquet of balloons. Have a clown deliver the gift.
• Share fun memories the two of you have enjoyed together.
It’s the little things that bring big smiles to those you love.
Lois Young-Tulin, PhD, is an Assistant Geriatric Care Manager at Complete Care Strategies